About the Company
The Institute of Safety & Systems Management, Inc. (ISSM) was established in 2005 with the goal of helping candidates earn their ASP, CSP, CHMM, and CIH certification credentials. Hamid R. Kavianian Ph.D., CSP, CHMM is the president of ISSM and has extensive professional experience in the field of occupational and environmental safety engineering and management. He has authored ASP, CSP, CHMM, and CIH textbooks and software which have been distributed by the American Society of Safety Engineers since 1996 and have helped thousands of candidates earn their certification credentials. Dr. Kavianian has taught ASP and CSP preparation courses for the American Society of Safety Engineers, National Safety Council, University of Southern California, California State University – Long Beach, and General Motors Corporation.
ISSM continues to provide updated materials and courses for certification examination preparation as well as consulting services in the fields of chemical, environmental and occupational safety engineering and management.
About the Founder
Hamid R. Kavianian, Ph.D., CSP, CHMM, is an emeritus professor of Chemical Engineering at California State University Long Beach, and has also served as an adjunct professor of safety at the University of Southern California. Dr. Kavianian was a former member of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Operational Readiness Review Team for Occupational Safety and Environmental Requirements, and has served as the Chair of the Process Safety Technical Group of the American Society of Safety Engineers. In addition to safety, environmental, and chemical engineering research and development for Fortune 100 companies, and Argonne National Laboratory, Dr. Kavianian was in charge of the Defense Logistics Agency’s Occupational Safety & Environmental training programs for the Department of Defense personnel in the U.S., Europe, Korea, and Japan.
Dr. Kavianian is the author of six published textbooks and software for ASP, CSP, CHMM, and CIH certification examination preparation, process safety management, and occupational and environmental safety engineering and management that have been distributed by the American Society of Safety Engineers since 1996. He has also authored numerous articles published in peer-reviewed journals, and conference papers in the fields of chemical and occupational and environmental safety engineering, and management.
Dr. Kavianian has served as the instructor for ASP and CSP examination preparation for the American Society of Safety Engineers, National Safety Council, University of Southern California, California State University Long Beach, General Motors Corporation, and Orange County Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers. In 2000, Dr. Kavianian was recognized as “Safety Professional of the Year” by Region 1 of the American Society of Safety Engineers which includes the states of California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii, and in 1999 was similarly recognized by ASSE’s Orange County Chapter. In 2001, the Associated Engineering Student Body at California State University – Long Beach selected Dr. Kavianian as “Instructor of the Year."
Dr. Kavianian has provided consulting and research and engineering services for the following organizations:
- United States Department of Defense, Defense Logistics Agency, Battle Creek, MI
- United States department of energy, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- United States Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, Oklahoma City, OK
- United States Department of the Interior, Yuma, AZ
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA
- California State University Long Beach, Long Beach, CA
- American Society of Safety Engineers, Des Plaines, IL
- National Safety Council, Itasca, IL
- General Motors Corporation, Reno, NV and Palm Springs, CA
- UNOCAL Corporation, Brea, CA
- Phillips Petroleum Company, Denver, CO
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Orange, TX
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Rutten and Morse, Attorneys At Law, Irvine, California
- Murphy & Murphy, Attorneys at Law; Chula Vista, CA